Skip to main content

Chapter 1 - Never to see home again

    The snow flew around and piled on the roof, windowsill and any other surface it could lay on. A furious wind pushed through the trees, making them dance. Icicles formed on the bushes and the world was frozen. Aleesa Callas shivered as she got dressed. She was unaccustomed to the snow. It would only snow two to three days in Athens, Greece. This snowstorm had started Monday. Today was Sunday. Brrrrr… It is so cold in Connecticut! Why did we have to move here? I liked Greece so much better! She thought heading down the stairs. “γεια πώς είσαι Patera” she said to her father, who was sitting by the fire in the living room. “Hello to you too, I’m doing fine. You know I ordered you to use English! Please do so.” Mr.Callas said frowning at the tall girl. “Yes Father.” Aleesa said looking at her feet. Mr.Callas’s frown softened. “I know it’s hard to get accustomed to America. But I always loved this place. That was why I made take the English lessons. Why don’t you go to bed now, its late and tomorrow you shall go to school. Ajax shall drive you there.” he said. “Yes Father.” Aleesa said and walked from the room.
She didn’t go straight to bed though. She sat in her chair and looked out the window. This snow is driving me nuts. How can Father love this place so much? It's cold, dark, and lonely. I wish we never moved here, I wish Mother didn’t go missing when I was one, and I wish that that I didn’t have to speak English!” Aleesa thought staring out into the snow. A little bird flew past her window and off into the night. “I wish I was a bird so I could fly away, fly back home to my friends, away from this miserable place!” she said out loud. She sighed and climbed into bed and turned off the light. Outside the wind rattled the window and, and the trees moaned under the wind, snow and ice.
The clock rang six and a knock came at the door. “Ms. Aleesa, get up and eat breakfast. I need to bring you to school.” a deep masculine voice called out. Aleesa sighed and got out of bed. “Yes Ajax, i’ll be there soon.” she called, yawning. She slipped into her new school uniform and grabbed her bag. As she walked down the could hear her father’s deep voice talking to Ajax. “Yes sir! I’ll drop her off at the door and come back to bring you to your meeting.” she heard Ajax say.
She walked into the kitchen and the cook was at the stove, stirring oatmeal. “Είναι αυτή η βρώμη καλή?” she asked the lady. “Ναι ερωμένη” she responded. Mr. Callas frowned at the lady and girl. “Aleesa, English please. Not Greek. Is this oatmeal good? Not Είναι αυτή η βρώμη καλή, and Cook, please say, Yes mistress, not Ναι ερωμένη” The cook looked down at her feet. “Yes sir.” she said meekly. Aleesa scowled. “I don’t like English, Greek is so much better!” she cried. Mr. Callas shook his head. “You are in America now, you must use English. You speak it well. I taught you so you can live here easily. Eat your oatmeal and go with Ajax.” he sternly said. “Yes Father.” Aleesa said sighing.
“Ajax, where is this school?” Aleesa asked. “Ms. Aleesa, you’ll be there soon. A couple more corners and  you will be there.” he responded gruffly. Aleesa flopped against the back of the seat. “No one wants to talk to me.” she grumbled.
At school tons of kids were swarming in. A girl around Aleesa’s age walked up to her. “Are you new here?” she asked. Aleesa nodded. “Follow me, my name is Livia, I moved from Rome last year.” the girl said. Aleesa smiled. “We moved from Greece. My name is Aleesa.” she said. “I’ll bring you to the office and we’ll get you signed in and find your locker.” Livia said. “OK” Aleesa responded grinning.
“Ms.Hunt, this is Aleesa…… I’m sorry, what's your last name Alessa?” Livia said. “Callas” Aleesa said shyly. The tall lady, Ms.Hunt smiled. Welcome to Harper’s school. I hope you will enjoy it here.” she said, handing Aleesa and Livia sheets of paper.
“Can I see your paper? It’s the classes you have. Oh goody! You have the same classes!” Livia exclaimed.
Two hours later “Can Aleesa Callas, and Livia Kurtz please come to the office. Thank you” came over the speakers. The teacher looked at the two girls. “You are excused.” she said. Aleesa and Livia walked out of the room. “Why are we leaving class?”Aleesa asked. Livia shrugged. “Who knows.” she said. They walked in and Ajax was sitting in a seat talking to Ms. Hunt and the principle, Mr.Moore. “You two ladies shall go with Mr.Ajax. Your parents have given approval.” Mr. Moore said.
As Ajax walked Aleese and Livia out the door, Aleesa said, “Ajax, where are we going?” Ajax frowned. “Get in the car. We’ll be there soon. All of your possessions are already in the car. You will be going to Demi-School. A place where you shall be safe from monsters.” Aleesa and Livia turned pale. “Demi-school?” they asked. “Monsters?”. Ajax shook his head. “You are demi-gods. Have you ever wondered why one of your parents disappeared when you were a baby? Your mother or father, whoever left you was a god. A Greek or Roman one, depending if you came from Greece or Rome.” he said opening the back car door. Livia and Aleesa looked at each other when they climbed in.
Ajax drove away. Piles of bags and totes were in the limos seats, on the floor and probably more in the trunk. In a couple minutes they were at a large mansion. Many kids were walking around. “Welcome to Demi-School. I will bring you stuff in, and then Ms. Kittredge will figure out you parent.” Ajax said pulling into a small parking lot. “You will live here, and almost never live here, unless you are on a mission.” he said pulling their stuff. “Wait we will LIVE here? What about our fathers?” Aleesa asked. “Yah, my father will be worried.” said Livia. Ajax smiled. “It’s all taken care of. Welcome to your new home.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 3 - In Which Aleesa makes a wonderful discovery

    The two girls walked out of the school building. “That was pretty easy.” said Aleesa. Livia nodded. Then she yawned. “It must be near dinner time.” she said. Aleesa laughed. “I hope we have the same mom! That would mean we are sisters!” she said jumping up and down. Livia smiled. “I never thought of that before.” she said. They walked down to the basket ball court were multiple kids were playing. A bunch or kids were sitting on the bleachers chatting and laughing. One of the girls looked up. She smiled and called, “Hey! Are you new here?” Aleesa nodded. The girl motioned them to come over. Livia and Aleesa walked over. The girl smiled. “My name is Samantha, but my friends call me Sammy for short.” Sammy smiled again. She had short brown hair with purple tips and a tan. Her eyes were a milk chocolate brown and she smiled a lot. She was tall, and wore a pair of jeans and a pegasi t-shirt that said “let your imagination fly” She wore riding  boots and had the smell that reminded one

Chapter 2 - The Tour of the Demi-School grounds

    A tall lady walked toward the group. “Ah Ajax! I’m so glad to see you! And two girls too! I expect these are the two from Harper’s school. First day too! I’m Ms.Kittredge, i’m pleased to meet you.” the lady said. She was around six feet tall, had long wavy hair and a white toga with tall gold gladiator sandals. She had sparkly blue eyes that reminded one of a bubbly blue brook. Her skin was tanned and she wore many gold bracelets. Ajax shook her hand. “These two need to take the test, then get settled in and shown around. I must go on to the next place. Mr.Callas sensed some more demigods, but I think another searcher found them, I need to double check though, so bye.” Ajax started walking away. “Be careful Ajax! For my sake!” Ms. Kittredge called after him. Ajax smiled and waved “I’ll try to visit soon.” he called. Then he climbed into the car and drove off.     “So what are your names? As I said before mine is Ms.Kittredge.” Ms.Kittredge said. “Well mine is Livia Kurtz, and th